Church's pews

The original pews of the Old Church came from the Ulrika Eleonora Church, but in 1870 they were redesigned to better serve the needs of the church. The materials from the pews of the Ulrika Eleonora Church were not discarded, however; instead, they were reused in the wall panelling in 1875.

The fittings of the pews vary, as men and women previously sat on opposite sides of the church. Women sat on the left and men on the right, which is reflected in the fittings: on the left side there are metal hooks for handbags, while on the right there are wooden pegs for walking sticks and hats.

The Old Church contains a total of 70 rows of pews. There are 46 rows in the nave, and 12 rows on each side of the galleries. The pews are simple in design and display mild Neo-Gothic features. The pew ends are tall and carved at the top, and are decorated with circular reliefs. The pews are painted grey.

Your feedback is important

Was this information helpful?